WHAT IS TAG 57?
Tag 57, Political Campaign Mailing is a red container tag designed to provide added visibility to
Political Mail from Postal acceptance to processing operations. It can be placed on trays, sacks,
WHAT IS POLITICAL MAIL?
Political Campaign Mail is any material mailed at First-Class Mail or USPS Marketing Mail prices for political campaign purposes by a registered political candidate, a campaign committee (federal, state, or local), or a committee of a political party (e.g., Democratic National Committee or Republican Congressional Campaign Committee) to promote political candidates, referendums, or political campaigns. Political Message Mail is any material mailed at First-Class Mail or USPS Marketing Mail prices by a PAC, Super PAC, or other organization engaging in issue advocacy or voter mobilization. Political Mail may be sent for any public election—partisan or nonpartisan—for which there is a ballot.
WHAT KIND OF MAILINGS CAN USE TAG 57?
Both Political Campaign Mail and Political Message Mail described above can use Tag 57.
In addition to mailings sent by PACs (Political Action Committee) or Super PACs, etc., lesser known types of Political Message Mail also qualify for Tag 57 use. Here are some examples:
- An organization mails a monthly newsletter with 10 articles in it. If one article references a
political topic, the mailing qualifies to have a Tag 57 attached.
- A hardware store mails a monthly advertisement of hardware specials. The current
advertisement includes a note that “We support Mary Hill for County Commissioner.”
- A grocery store places a note on its flier that says “Vote on November 4th.”
HOW WOULD I USE TAG 57 FOR MY MAILINGS?
- Affix a Tag 57 to each tray, sack, and pallet of political mail when packaging it for delivery
to your postal facility.
- When completing Postage Statement Form 3602 (electronically through Postal Wizard®
or via hard copy), be sure to mark “Yes” when asked if your mail is Political Mail.
WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS?
- Your mailings will be more easily identifiable.
- Accepted mailings will be segregated from other mail in the Business Mail Entry Unit.
- The tags will provide added visibility as your mail enters the Postal Service™ processing centers.